Also known as Black nightshade,manathakkali has many healing and soothing properties.The greens of the plant can be cooked with dhal to get a delicious kootu or stir fried.
I just love manathakkai vatral-be it in vathakuzambu ,raita or with steaming rice and ghee.
Here is how you too can prepare this vatral at home.
Green berries [Manathakkali]
- Pick out the clean berries and wash well.
- Soak them in sour curd adding a little salt.
- Keep stirring it once a day for 3 days.
- Drain the curd and spread the berries on a clean plate/plastic sheet.
- Dry it in the sun till dry and crisp.
- Store in airtight container.