Baby potatoes with fenugreek

This post has been in my draft for more than 6 months and somehow missed my attention.
Last April,we visited the temple town- Madurai in South India.


We stayed there for a couple of days and one evening we visited the famous Meenakshi amman temple.It is one of the biggest temples in India and its history dates back to the early AD!The architectural beauty is beyond words and it takes a long time to see all the parts of this massive and large temple.


When we were retuning to our hotel,we passed by plenty of small shops selling everything from bangles and bindis to dresses and electronic items.


My eyes immediately fell on a row of small shops that sold used books and guess the first book that I saw!Fusion Food-Vegetarian Special by Komal Taneja.I picked it up and browsed though the recipes and true to is title it had fusion recipes from all over the globe and just below it I found Tarla dalal's-'Forever young diet' book.It was my lucky day but hubby could not hide his amusement.I picked up these two book that looked brand new and wondered what kind of person might have sold them to a used book dealer.Well, that is none of my business,isn't it..


Hubby hurried me into the car worried that I might start looking for more books as he and lil angel were tired and hungry but the enthusiasm in finding these two books renewed my energy level.

After I came home,this baby potato and fenugreek recipe was the first one I tried out.Catch a glimpse of that book and on it is my version of the dish.


I altered the recipe slightly and here it is..

You need:

Baby potato with skin -500grams
Fenugreek leaves-500 grams
Mustard leaves-1/2 teaspoon
Jeera/Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
Ajwain/Carom seeds-1/2 teaspoons
Red chilli powder-1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Oil-1 tablespoons
Salt to taste

  1. Wash the potatoes and pressure cook them until done but not mushy.Peel if required.
  2. Wash and chop the fenugreek leaves.
  3. Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard,jeera and carom seeds.
  4. When it splutters add the turmeric powder and put in the fenugreek leaves.Stir once in a while.
  5. Cook leaves till almost done,add red chilli powder,salt and potatoes.Mix well.
  6. Cover and cook for a few minutes.Stir in between.
  7. Serve hot with steamed rice.





Doesn't it look delicious!!!!

Note:

  • For best taste,use fresh fenugreek leaves
  • If you don't have baby potatoes,cube the usual potatoes and follow the recipe
  • In case you don't want to pressure cook the potatoes,start from step 3-you can add the potatoes to the pan with the seasonings and sprinkle water to cook the potatoes.When the potatoes are 80% done,add fenugreek leaves and cook till potatoes and green are soft.


Labels: , ,