In many places in South India, 'Neer More Pandhals' are set up during summer. This pandhal is usually a thatched stall that distributes free buttermilk to one and all.
This can be easily prepared at home too....
Yogurt -1 curd
Ginger -1 " piece ,minced
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Mustard - 1 teaspoon
Green chiili- 2 ,slit and seeds removed
Asafetida- a pinch
Curry leaves - a few
Coriander leaves - a few
- In a large vessel take yogurt, salt and around 3 cups water. Churn with a wooden maththu / hand churner[seen in the click]. Or beat it in a mixie jar.
- Heat oil for seasoning and put in asafetida and mustard and green chiliies.
- When the mustard crackles, pour into the buttermilk.
- Add the ginger and garnish with chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- It tastes best if it sits for sometime before serving as the flavors blend during that time.
- This is called neer more because of its consistency. [Neer - Water / watery].So the quantity of water added is more than what we add for preparing regular buttermilk
- If you like you can add curry leaves with the seasonings.