While browsing through my blog,I started reading from my first post and found many clicks that were very plain and did not go very well with the post.I have been clicking new pics for old recipes and today made it a point to revamp some old posts.It is a great experience now that I know a little of how to make a dish look appealing.
So the post that got a touch up today is a healthy and tasty one pot meal - Sambar Sadham.This dish is so simple and very easy to make .It is a medley of rice, lentils and your choice of veggies. Serve it with your choice of raita and crispies and your lunch is ready in less than an hour which includes the prep time!So take a look at the new click and let me know if you liked it...
Coming to today's recipe,as the name suggests, I have prepared a green colored adai.Little Angel sometimes does not like to eat the same stuffs even if I serve them a week apart. So in order to make sure she gets the nutrients and also eats the dosh with interest, I come up with colorful recipes.
You may have noticed the pretty pink poori, green pooris,pink chapathis,green dosa etc in this blog and adding to that list is this green adai....
|Palak Adai served with Tomato Onion Chutney|
Mixed lentils - 3 cups [ I used toor dal, gram dal,moong dal]
Rice- 1 cup
Palak / spinach leaves - 1 bunch
Ginger - 2" piece,peeled
Red chillies - 2
Cumin seeds- 2 teaspoons
Asafoetida powder -a large pinch
Salt to taste
- Soak the rice and lentils for atleast 5 hours along with red chillies
- Clean the spinach and separate the leaves.Keep aside.
- Drain water from the soaked lentils and grind to a paste with red chilli, ginger cumin seeds.
- When the mixture is a coarse paste add the spinach leaves, salt,adafoetida powder,cumin seeds,ginger and grind to a semi smooth batter.
- Remove the batter into a dish.
- Heat a griddle and pour a ladle full of batter in the center and spread it to a circle.
- Drizzle a little oil around the edges if needed.
- Cook till both sides have a brown tinge.
- Remove from heat and serve with chutney / sambar.
- You can use any type of lentil.Adjust the rice quantity accordingly.Some people prefer to use a little more rice than that mentioned here.
- This batter need not ferment.You can prepare adai as soon as the batter is ground
- Remove the stalks from the spinach and use only the leaves.
- You can serve this adai garnished with grated carrots,coconut, finely chopped onion etc.
- A handful of mint / coriander leaves can also be added while grinding the batter.
- A couple of boiled potatoes added when the batter is being ground gives an excellent taste and texture to the dish.
This Day That Year...
2011 - Oats Chutney
2010 - Vara Kothamalli Thuvaiyal - Coriander seeds Chutney.
2009 - Strawberry Banana Milkshake