Here is a gist of the event...
Herbs,as you are aware, are used to enhance the flavor of the dishes.Even a simple dish can be turned into an exotic one with the addition of herbs.Small quantity of herbs are more than sufficient to add the magic touch.Fresh and dry herbs have been in use from time immemorial.Some of the common herbs are Coriander, Mint, Thyme,Sage, Sorrel, Chives, Basil, Parsley,Fenugreek , Bayleaf etc.
Edible flowers are quite different from the ones grown for aesthetic purpose.These are also different from the ones sold at the florists.Flowers that are either home grown or free of toxic pesticides are used in creating culinary magic. Fresh and dried flowers are used to make a wide range of dishes from appetizers, juices, stir-fries, liqueurs, syrups ,desserts.Flower garnishes are also very popular.The flowers commonly used are Roses , Lavender, Banana blossom, Squash and Zucchini blossoms, Hibiscus,Neem flowers,drumstick flowers etc.Each culture / cuisine has some flower to make the dish interesting.
These herbs and flowers not only add flavor to the platter but also have some medicinal properties that are so valuable to us.
So I invite you all to cook with herbs and flowers, common or rare and share it here for us to come back and refer!
I am hosting this event this month and if you are interested in hosting this on your blog, do drop a line and we can fix a line up schedule....
This month you can cook with any herb / flower that you like...
A few guidelines for the event:
- Cook and blog about a Vegan or Vegetarian dish which features any herb/ flower. You can use the herbs in any form - fresh/ dried or syrup,etc.
- Though this series is based on the culinary uses, you can also share the following -how to grow a herb / flowering plant used in cookery or tips on freezing or storing them,non culinary uses that have been tried and tested by you like cosmetic uses,home remedies,crafts etc.You can also write about some interesting facts on herbs and flowers.
- Please add this announcement link.
- Send in as many new entries as you wish.Only two entries from the archives are allowed.Just update the old post with a link to this announcement..
- Non bloggers are also welcome to participate
- The last date for the entries is November 30th 2013
- Send me the following details to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your name and name of your blog
- Recipe and URL
- Picture of your dish.[Please re-size your images]